In 2014, the National Qualifications Authority (NQA) and the Vocational Education and Training Awards Council (VETAC) of the UAE have authorized Abu Dhabi Centre for Technical and Vocational Education and Training (ACTVET) as the first Awarding Body in the United Arab Emirates.
ACTVET Awarding Body oversees the quality assurance of qualification development and delivery processes for Abu Dhabi and the Northern Emirates. The Awarding Body for Dubai is the Knowledge and Human Development Authority. ACTVET Qualification Department
comprises two sections:
- Qualification Development
- Qualification Management
A report prepared by the International Labour Organisation (ILO) (2008) revealed that countries that have properly aligned the development of competencies with key occupational sectors have achieved higher levels of productivity and higher levels of employment growth.
Development of National Occupational Skills Standards and National Qualifications are mechanisms to support industry and commerce with skills development. This is the intention of the Government of the United Arab Emirates (UAE) through the National Qualifications Authority and the Awarding Bodies as a mechanism for standards development and competency based qualifications.
In order to provide business and commerce with custom-made culturally appropriate competency-based national qualifications, their development will be determined and driven by industry. Business and commerce are at centre of qualification development so that the practices, processes and products used by industry in the UAE are internationally benchmarked and embedded within the National Qualifications.
ACTVET Qualifications Department ensures that qualifications are written to meet NQA requirements. The Qualifications Development Section quality assures the writing of qualifications through a Recognised National Development Committee (RNDC). The committee made up from business, industry and educational specialists write qualifications through the following four-part process:
- Part A –the application to become a Recognised National Development Committee (RNDC) writing committee that represents industry or a government initiative. The application form is available from the National Qualifications Authority (NQA) website: www.nqa.gov.ae
- Part B – the Approved Recognised National Development Committee (RNDC) application to write the Occupational Profile including functional analysis and career pathway for the sector or sub-sector for an occupational skill area to identify where and how an occupation fits into the occupational profession.
- Part C –the Approved Recognised National Development Committee (RNDC) application to write the UAE National Occupational Skills Standards for the Approved Occupational Profile that indicates what skills and competencies are needed to perform the job.
- Part D – the Approved Recognised National Development Committee (RNDC) application to write a qualification for an occupation from the UAE National Occupational Skills Standards that indicates what and how the skills and competencies are to be performed.
The Awarding Body oversees part of the processes associated with qualifications delivery by approving Registered Training Providers (RTP’s) to deliver credit-bearing Technical and Vocational Education and Training Qualifications that are endorsed by the National Qualifications Authority (NQA) and are recognised throughout the UAE. For further information please contact ACTVET Qualification Department on:
: +971-2-613 2000
: +971-2-613 2111
: 108800 – Abu Dhabi